January 2021 Billing and Coding Changes
On January 1, 2021, these new CPT© codes will be effective. If you perform these procedures, you will need to add them to your office management systems and encounter forms.
- 92517 for Vestibular evoked myogenic potential (VEMP) testing, with interpretation and report; cervical (cVEMP)
- 92518 ocular (oVEMP)
- 92519 cervical (cVEMP) and ocular (oVEMP)
CPT© codes 92585 and 92586 for comprehensive and limited auditory brainstem responses will be deleted; do not use these codes but one of the four new auditory evoked potential codes:
- 92650 Auditory evoked potentials; screening of auditory potential with broadband stimuli, automated analysis
- 92651 for hearing status determination, broadband stimuli, with interpretation and report
- 92652 for threshold estimation at multiple frequencies, with interpretation and report
- 92653 Auditory evoked potentials; neurodiagnostic, with interpretation and report
You will need to use the updated Advanced Beneficiary Notice (ABN) CMS-R-131, with the 06/30/2023 expiration date by 1/1/21.
There will also be changes for audiologists to report measures for Medicare Part B’s Merit Incentive Payment System, although most audiologists will be voluntary reporters. To check your status, you’ll need your National Provider Identifier (NPI) and search for 2021 which may not be available until sometime in January here.
Get a Team to Simplify the World of Coding & Contracting
Deb Abel, Au.D. – ADA President and Manager of Coding and Contract Services