Get a Head Start on the 2022 Medicare Coding and Billing Changes
Can You Confidently Navigate the Process to Get Everything You’re Owed?
Staying up-to-date with coding and billing standards is crucial to getting reimbursed in a timely manner for the audiology services that your practice provides. While coding errors can be resolved, the payment delays they cause can be detrimental to your business’s accounts receivable.
The bottom line: if you don’t code correctly, you won’t get paid for your services.
2022 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS) – 5 Points to Consider
Our own Dr. Debbie Abel, Au.D., has put together the salient points of the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS) proposed rules for 2022 as it pertains to your practice:
1. The Conversion Factor will go from $34.89 in 2021 to $33.58 in 2022. This will result in a 3-4% reduction in fees for diagnostic services unless it is averted by Congress.
2. For those audiologists who have not qualified to be a mandatory Merit Incentive Payment System (MIPS) reporter due to low volume thresholds (greater than $90,000 in claims, 200 or more covered services provided to Part B beneficiaries and services for more than 200 Part B beneficiaries) and who are a member of a group, you may be a mandatory reporter as part of that group. It is strongly suggested you check your eligibility here for 2022: https://qpp.cms.gov/mips/how-eligibility-is-determined. You will want to check for 2021 and also soon into 2022.
3. Audiology and otolaryngology are slated for a -1% impact on clinical labor pricing.
4. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is proposing to remove the Falls Risk Assessment (#154) from the audiology MIPS specialty set.
5. No permanent telehealth services for audiologists were included in the MPFS proposed rule, therefore, once the public health emergency expires in response to the pandemic, audiologists will not be reimbursed for the telehealth services that Medicare is allowing during the pandemic.
Focus on Your Patients. Let Us Handle Coding and Billing.
Our revenue-cycle management services remove the time-consuming processes that take you away from focusing on patient care and revenue-generating activities.